A few weeks back, I finally got around to printing out certificates for the MOOC courses I’ve completed so far. I remembered having done this when I found this stack of certificates in a pile of papers on the couch in my office, now dog-eared and crinkled from having other stuff piled on top of […]
Archive | Independent Learners RSS feed for this section
Well I hope everyone had a nice, long holiday weekend. I wish I could say I took all three days off from this project, but with two interviews scheduled for today (one with the Greek Heroes team, one with Dale Stephens of Uncollege), there was a certain amount of time set aside for prep (as […]
One of the missions of this site is to help determine the nature of an independent learner, someone who can conceivably take advantage of MOOCs and other free-learning resources to do more than just take a course now and then. Not that informal continuing education isn’t an important aspect of free learning (in my interview […]
Imagine my surprise when, a few weeks after launching this Degree of Freedom One Year BA project, people were reaching out to tell me I had to talk to Scott Young – a guy who apparently did the same thing a year ago. Given the newness of the MOOC phenomenon, and the limited number of […]
The notion of not going to college as a distinct vocation made headlines in 2010 when Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal, announced the Thiel Fellowship: a program that would award twenty students a year $100,000 if they promised to bag college and instead focus on starting or developing a business or engaging in research or […]
|Latest Mention of MOOCs: The Essential Guide|
|In the Age of Information, Specializing to Survive|
|The New York Times – March 20, 2015|
- Is Florida Really Abandoning Common Core? – 1 February 14, 2019
- Civics and Critical Thinking February 7, 2019
- Re-inventing Civic Education – 3 January 23, 2019
- Reinventing Civic Education – 2 January 22, 2019
- John: Actually it's not that that simple. You're spea...
- John: I'm not sure if you'll be reading this 5 years l...
- NEBRCU » Which are the most useful sites for college learners?: […] will get personalized and authentic Futu...
- Fred Havir: Actually the Modern Scholar course exams are not e...
Sign up for the Degree of Freedom weekly news
Read course reviews, follow my progress, and read about trends in online learning — right in your inbox!