One of my favorite ways of studying historic change is to look at it through the eyes of someone who did not modify his or her position or disposition, regardless of the fact that consensus was dramatically transforming around them. The most dramatic example of this would be Cato the Younger who did not budge […]
Tag Archives | backlash
While I wanted to first deal with some of the excess backlash that latched itself onto recent changes in direction from the MOOC pioneer Udacity, I also don’t want to pretend that their recent “pivot” means nothing with regard to both the reality and perception of online learning (massive, open or otherwise). First off, it […]
Given that this site was created to provide perspective that might tamp down some of the over-exuberance I was seeing from MOOC boosters earlier this year, I’m surprised to find myself spending a week taking on the MOOC backlash. While pieces like the NEA story I described yesterday are harsh but informative, recent stories reacting […]
I just finished reading an article called “MOOC Mania” in the most recent issue of Thought & Action, the Higher Education Journal published by the National Education Association (NEA). (Sorry, but it’s not online as far as I can tell.) In it the author, Susan Meisenhelder, Professor Emeritus of English at California State University of […]
|Latest Mention of MOOCs: The Essential Guide|
|In the Age of Information, Specializing to Survive|
|The New York Times – March 20, 2015|
- Critical Voter – Fre-ebook Tuesdays June 21, 2016
- Critical Voter – Free at Amazon This Week April 4, 2016
- Announcements March 30, 2016
- Critical Voter Curriculum March 1, 2016
- Lance: It isn't murder to try to mitigate the damage fro...
- sam: the simple question to me is can you value life ba...
- sam: but by switching the track you are killing the one...
- Manu Mitra: Any source or url for saying "Saylor’s rating h...
Sign up for the Degree of Freedom weekly news
Read course reviews, follow my progress, and read about trends in online learning — right in your inbox!